Onsite Propane offers a number of different propane tank sizes to meet the needs of the wide range of residential and commercial customers we serve. Tanks are filled to approximately 80% of the total tank capacity to allow for expansion. For example, when the tank gauge reads 70% and your tank size is:
- 60 gallons, then you have 42 gallons
- 120 gallons, then you have 84 gallons
- 320 gallons, then you have 224 gallons
- 500 gallons, then you have 350 gallons
- 1,000 gallons, then you have 700 gallons
- A standard 60-gallon tank holds 48 gallons of propane
- Generally installed for residential cooking and clothes drying
- Each tank is 43” in height and 24” in diameter.
- Also known as a 200 lb. tank.
- A standard 120-gallon tank holds 96 gallons of propane
- Generally installed for residential hot water, and some space heating with sufficient storage to add a range or clothes dryer by hooking two of these tanks together
- Each tank is 54.5” in height and 30” in diameter
- Also known as a 420 lb. tank
- A standard 320-gallon tank holds 256 gallons of propane
- Generally installed for residential hot water or space heating with sufficient storage if you add a range or clothes dryer
- Each tank is 9′ in length and 3′ 4″ in diameter
- A standard 500-gallon tank holds 400 gallons of propane
- Generally installed for larger homes with central heating and other appliances that use propane
- Also suitable for small commercial applications
- Each tank is 9’ 11” long and 37½” in diameter
- A standard 1000-gallon tank holds 800 gallons of propane
- Generally installed for commercial and industrial applications
- Large commercial and industrial installations may require multiple 1000-gallon tanks
- Each tank is 16’ 1½” long and 41” in diameter
Above Ground Tanks vs Underground
Residential propane tanks are used for many purposes. People choose to use propane for anything from a few small appliances like a BBQ grill an outdoor heater, or whole home energy needs. Many houses use propane for cooking, as well as for hot water and space heating. With this wide range in usage, there is also a wide range in propane tank sizes and options—and one of the most important to many homeowners is whether they want to locate their tank above ground or below ground.
Not all residential propane tanks are designed for underground use. Many smaller tanks, for example, are meant to be portable and must be taken to a propane supplier to be refilled or swapped out. Even tanks as big as “100 pounders” are designed for above ground use.
As you move to larger tanks, underground tanks become more practical.
Above ground propane tanks
- Quick and easy to set up—simply “place and fill.”
- No excavation required.
- Easy to swap out in the future
Underground propane tanks
- Help to meet an aesthetic need of a home owner
- Sometimes harder to find in the winter
- Can be more prone to accidental damage due to not seeing the tank
Different homeowners choose above or below ground for different reasons, and there is no wrong answer. If you’re interested in an underground tank, discuss this with your propane provider to make sure this is the right tank for you. There are additional guidelines for installing an underground tank as opposed to an above ground tank. These guidelines help to protect the tank from high water table, damage and make sure it can be accessed for maintenance and filling.
320-Gallon Underground Tank
500-Gallon Underground Tank
Proudly serving Vermonters in these towns: Huntington, VT 05462 | Richmond, VT 05477 | Jericho, VT 05465 | Essex, VT 05452 | Williston, VT 05495 | St. George, VT 05495 | Colchester, VT 05446 | Underhill, VT 05489 | Cambridge, VT 05444 | Jeffersonville, VT 05464 | Westford, VT 05494 | Fairfax, VT 05454 | Milton, VT 05468 | Georgia, VT 05478 | South Hero, VT 05486 | Grand Isle, VT 05458 | St. Albans, VT 05479 | Swanton, VT 05488 | Fairfield, VT 05455 | Fletcher, VT 05444 | Sheldon, VT 05483 | Franklin, VT 05457 | Enosburg, VT 05450 | Richford, VT 05476 | Montgomery, VT 05470 | Eden, VT 05652 | Hyde Park, VT 05655 | North Hyde Park 05665 | Bakersfield, VT 05441 | Johnson, VT 05656 | Morrisville, VT 05661 | Stowe, VT 05672 | Waterville, VT 05492 | Belvidere, VT 05442